Friday, July 18, 2008

Pickle Day

Today was my first ever canning experience. I'm thrilled to say that my two cucumber plants that worried me back in May are now officially out of control. In the past week I have collected 18 foot-long cucumbers. And yes, foot-long is long but lest you think I'm letting them get too big, that is the size this particular variety gets. They are absolutely delicious. I never want a store-bought cucumber again.

Alas, what is one to do with this many cucumbers? Make pickles!

I began by slicing the cucumbers. Slicing was easier than spears since the cucumbers were so long. Besides, I like pickles on my burgers.
The recipe I used called for 7 pounds of cucumbers. It seemed like a huge amount (and did turn out to be too many in the end), but we had the cucumbers for it.So once the cukes were sliced, I packed them into the pint jars we'd been warming in the dishwasher. Here my 6yo son watches the excitement.After I packed the jars with cucumbers, I handed them to my mom who ladled in the pickling liquid (vinegar and spices).Once filled, we put on the lids and rings and put them into a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Now that they're finished, all 10 pints of kosher dill pickles sit cooling on my kitchen counter.Once they cool for 24 hours, I can store them. Then I have to wait 4-6 weeks before they're ready to eat. But they should keep for up to a year.

The thing is, I may have enough cucumbers to do this again next Friday! I may end up giving away pickles as Christmas presents this year!

Today's local weather:
High temp: 86 F
Low temp: 70 F
Partly cloudy

1 comment:

Yogamum said...

Yum! I love pickles!!