Saturday, June 28, 2008

Bitter lettuce

I am so disgusted. Isn't this a beautiful bed of lettuces?
A week ago we were eating from this bed and it tasted great. Suddenly, day before yesterday I made a salad from it and the lettuce was terribly bitter. We couldn't finish the salad. The next morning I wondered if maybe it was a fluke and I'd just happened on a bad plant. So I went out and sampled different plants, different varieties, different ages of plants. The verdict was undeniable. It is all bad. Such a waste. I am going to have to dig it all up and put it in the compost bin.

I knew it was only a matter of time before my lettuce couldn't handle the heat; I just didn't think it would be this soon.

Today's local weather:
High temp: 82 F (current temp at 6:15pm)
Low temp: 63 F
Partly cloudy

No comments: